The first trailer was released on November 7, 2012, showing "Red" Ruby fighting against a large pack of Beowolves.
The second trailer was released on February 14, 2013, showing "White" Weiss singing in front of a crowd and having a flashback to a fight with a giant suit of armor.
The third trailer was released on March 22, 2013, showing "Black" Blake and her partner, Adam Taurus, raiding a cargo train and fighting mechanical soldiers and a large security droid.
The fourth and final trailer was released on June 1, 2013, showing "Yellow" Yang searching for information about someone at a club, then fighting Junior Xiong and his henchmen.
RWBY is an acronym made from the first letters of Red, White, Black, Yellow - which corresponds to each main character's "color". Ruby was the first character of these four to be revealed in the series, with Weiss being the second, Blake the third and Yang the fourth.
The first episode of the series premiered live at RTX 2013 (July 5-7th, 2013 in Austin, Texas). All subsequent episodes are released every Thursday at 7 PM EST for the general public on the Rooster Teeth website. They also upload an episode to YouTube at the same time, but the episode uploaded is the one before the episode on their main site. The series was also simulcast on Crunchyroll. The DVDs and Blu-rays of the first volume were released on November 12, 2013.
It was revealed by Gray Haddock on January 30, 2014 that production on RWBY Volume 2 was underway and that the first episode would premiere at RTX 2014 (July 4-6th, Austin, Texas). It seems as though that the animation will be improved due to Monty's new character models.
It was also revealed that only 12 episodes would be released in the volume rather than the 16 that were released for Volume 1, but each episode will be 12 minutes long due to complaints about episodes being too short.
- The first footage of the show was seen on November 5, 2012, when a trailer featuring Ruby was shown at the end of the Red vs Blue Season 10 Finale.
- Before writing the show, creator Monty Oum gave the writers, Miles Luna and Kerry Shawcross, some "anime homework" to watch. One of said anime was Gurren Lagann.
- Monty Oum has confirmed that the characters are not based on fairy tale characters, but rather just allude to or reference them.
- All teams in the RWBYverse are set to a theme, RWBY = fairy tales, JNPR = warriors of the opposite gender to their inspiration, CRDL = birds.
- All characters in the RWBYverse have names that allude to colors, and the team names must also allude to a color.
- Some names, such as Ozpin, don't have such an allusion in play, but these exceptions are on the rare side.
- Promotional material at NYCC 2012 has indicated that Rooster Teeth has been teasing RWBY since October 10, 2012.
- On the October 10, 2013 Monty stated on Twitter that "The first RWBY anything to ever go public was handed out exactly one year ago at NYCC". Following this statement, the Rooster Teeth Twitter account posted a short message "RWBY Day". From here on the 10th of October was dubbed RWBY Day.