Joel Pearce Heyman is one of the co-founders of Rooster Teeth, as well as an actor, writer, and director presently serving as the Head of RT advertising/corporate productions He is best known for starring in Red vs. Blue as Michael J. Caboose/O'Malley, and The Strangerhood as Wade, Bartholomew Oobleck in RWBY, as well as Bidderman in 1-800-Magic. He also wrote 1-800-MAGIC, and occasionally writers Rooster Teeth Shorts for Rooster Teeth Productions. In addition to his involvement with Rooster Teeth, he has also starred in The Schedule, a live-action film written and directed by Burnie Burns.
Joel graudated from the University of Texas, in Austin, in 1997 where he received a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Drama Production.
Joel occasionally makes videos for Achievement Hunter. His videos are typically humorous in nature, although he has made a 5-part guide for Halo CE Anniversary's skulls and terminals with Jack.
Most notable among these are "Joel and Jack meet the Kinectimals", which has been viewed on Youtube more than 3 million times and is the number one search result for "Kinectimals".
Joel appeared in Let's Play Minecraft: Episode 2 - On a Rail!. He used the "Prisoner Steve" skin, with light blond hair and an orange jumpsuit, and as the others built their minecart track, Joel went off alone to build and mine. Joel would comment whenever one of the others asked where he is, saying that they couldn't find him, or to keep their lava away from him. He was apparently concerned that Gavin would try to mess with him, Joel having "heard stories about him."
Joel also created a video for Far Cry 3 showing various things you can do with water vehicles and a Dead Space 3 Video for an Achievement Hunter Segment called "Achievement Hunter Kids". Additionally, he has made a short Let's Play of Portal 2 with Jack, and a New Year's Eve special Let's Play of Dead Space 3 with Jack.
Other videos involve Jiliian's Fitness Adventure, Country Dance 2, Dead Space 1, and La Noire. There have also been several Let's Plays with Joel and Adam, which have mainly consisted of horror games.
|Need for Speed: The Run.....errr...or... Jillian Michaels Fitness Adventure?||Nov 21, 2011||link|
|Joel and Jack meet the Kinectimals||Dec 1, 2011||link|
|Joel and Jack play... Country Dance 2?||Dec 14, 2011||link|
|Critical Mission Failure||Feb 20, 2012||link|
|RT Noire||May 8, 2012||link|
|Joel and Jac...KARA play Dead Space||May 16, 2012||link|
|Joel and Ray: We're On a Boat||April 11, 2013||link|
|"Achievement Hunter KiDz!" with Jack & Joel (NSFW... or kids)||April 18, 2013||link|
|Jack & Joel 'play' State of Decay||June 20, 2013||link|
|Joel and Jack play Portal 2||Jan. 10, 2012||link|
|Halo CE: Anniversary: Skulls and Terminals 1-5 with Jack and Joel||Nov. 15-16 2011||(Part 1)|
|Let's Play- Dead Space 3 (with Jack and Joel)||Dec. 31 2013|
Joel was the coach of the short-lived Blue team for The Gauntlet.
Role at Rooster Teeth
As the Head of RT advertising/corporate productions, Joel's job responsibilities now include the following:
- Find sponsors and coordinates sponsored lets plays/shorts/commercials Rooster Teeth does
- Manage the business/corporate RT site with some sample commercials under portfolio
- Manage the commercials Rooster Teeth does for major companies
- He seems to pay a great deal of attention to stock prices, particularly of gold, is scared of snakes, and has issues with technology, all of which has been noted in episodes of Rooster Teeth Animated Adventures.
- In going with his fear of snakes, Joel, ironically, owned a pet python when he was younger.
- He has also done a range of acting roles on American television shows including Friends, Angel, The Inside, Alias, Criminal Minds. Visit Joel Heyman's IMDB profile for more information.
- He had a minor role in Halo 3 as an unseen marine, voiced in the character of Caboose from Red vs. Blue, found in the Crow's Nest level on Legendary difficulty.
- The marine in question, as well as another one as part of Master Chief's team, are voiced in Red vs. Blue characters regardless of difficulty, only the two characters whose voices are used vary based on the difficulty played.
- Despite his reputation for voicing the happy-go-lucky character of Caboose, Joel often appears agitated or irate when in public, and has a reputation among Rooster Teeth employees as an open pessimist.
- When Joel first joined Rooster Teeth as a full time employee, his first task was the re-shooting of Red vs Blue seasons 1 and 2 using the PC version of Halo: Combat Evolved to shoot in high-resolution for the Xbox Live Marketplace.
- Joel was apparently a big fan of Star Trek as he used to be able to name all of the ships as noted in Megacraft - Giant Spaceship Fleet.