Day 5 (TV Series) is an American Rooster Teeth Live action murder mystery sci-fi post-apocalyptic drama TV Web series produced by Rooster Teeth, created by Burnie Burns, Matt Hullum, Josh Flanagan, and Chris Demarais. The series is primarily written and directed by Josh Flanagan, Aaron Marquis, and Chris Demarais. It is their first foray into darker, more serious content (darker and edgier) as opposed to their previous comedy/dramedy works. In addition, it is one of their first shows offered only to sponsors (now called FIRST members).
Notable for its increase in production value and episode length compared to other RT live-action shows (each episode is roughly a full TV-hour long) and for having a long cycle in Development Hell. According to RT's chief creative officer Burnie Burns, it has gone through at least three iterations before the version that was eventually released including a nearly-completed feature length film.
Compare to Bliss Stage, which is roughly the same premise but with giant robots.
Day 5 was in the pipeline for over 3 years. It was mentioned on podcasts in early 2012, then remained silent for about a year. On Rooster Teeth Podcast 205, Burnie mentioned that Rooster Teeth is filming Day 5, but other productions are taking its place for now (such as Immersion Season 2).
Rooster Teeth filmed a scene for Day 5 at RTX 2012, which was about a busy town centre with hundreds of pedestrians shopping and socializing. Joel Heyman was in-character walking amongst everyone, then all of a sudden everyone was lying down either sleeping or dead. This was all that was filmed and the extras (RTX Attendees) then went back to the convention.
At RTX 2012, 1,800 fans were used as extras for a scene in post-apocalypse short series called Day 5, which initially followed a man fighting to stay awake after a virus spreads that causes anyone who falls asleep to die. The trailer premiered at RTX 2014. While the premise was kept the same, the overall story and characters were later changed drastically. In March 2016, the cast was announced, with filming starting that same month.
On June 16, 2014, Burnie Burns confirmed on Twitter that principal photography for Day 5 had been completed. The first teaser for the show was revealed before the worldwide screenings of Lazer Team. As of March 14, 2016, Day 5 production had officially begun, with Josh Flanagan posting regular updates on his Twitter profile. In May 2016, a trailer was released, revealing that Day 5 premieres on June 19, 2016 exclusively for FIRST Members.
The first episode was released for FIRST Members, and the general public on both the Rooster Teeth Website and YouTube, with all subsequent episodes having FIRST Member exclusivity.
The first episode premiered on June 19, 2016 on both Rooster Teeth's website and YouTube, though the rest of the series was released exclusively on Rooster Teeth's website for FIRST members, making it the company's first premium exclusive show. Its first season concluded on July 31, 2016. Showrunner Josh Flanagan held a Reddit AMA the following day, answering many fan questions about the show. On February 2017, a second season of the show was announced, along with a second season of Camp Camp.
An unexplainable epidemic has swept across the globe affecting every human being. People are frantically searching for answers because if you fall asleep... You die. How long can people stay awake?
20 Minutes into the Future, the world is suddenly affected by a strange malady which causes the death of anyone who falls asleep. Five days later, humanity is on the brink of extinction as the remaining survivors binge on cocktails of drugs, sugar and whatever they can find in a desperate attempt to stay awake and stay alive.
Jake (Jesse C. Boyd), is a loser drug addict who comes out of a several-day trip to find that the world has ended. He teams up with a teenage boy named Sam (Walker Satterwhite) in order to stay awake, making an alliance with a pilot named Ellis (Davi Jay) who is searching for answers as to the cause of the "sleep apocalypse". With the help of a radiologist named Ally (Stephanie Drapeau), they embark on a search for a cure before their time runs out.
Cast & CrewEdit
- Jesse C. Boyd - Jake (IMDB)
- Walker Satterwhite - Sam (IMDB)
- Natasha Aldridge - Lily (IMDB)
- Mallory Mahoney - Megan (IMDB)
- Joe Estevez - Alonzo Alvarez (IMDB)
- Stephanie Drapeau - Ally (IMDB)
- Davi Jay - Ellis (IMDB)
- Alisha Revel - Sarah (IMDB)
- Kelsey Pribilski - Rachel (IMDB)
- Chris Lemchi - Nurse (Uncredited) (IMDB)
- Gerald J. Garza - Researcher (Uncredited) (IMDB)
- Katie Folger - Meredith (IMDB)
- Barbara Dunkelman - Flip (IMDB)
- Caiti Ward - Emily (IMDB)
- Lee Eddy - Lex (IMDB)
- Monet Chandler - Jackie
- Drew Pollock - Dr. Curtis (IMDB)
- César Altagracia - Dr. Alta (IMDB)
- Trish Unzicker - Head Nurse (IMDB)
- Lb Deyo - Ponoko (IMDB)
- Gavin Free - Morgue Raver (IMDB)
- Paulina Chavez - Carmen (IMDB)
- Gustavo Gomez - Emmanuel (IMDB)
- Melba Martinez - La Bruja
- Eduardo C. Garza - Eduardo
- Julio Cedillo - Father Julio (IMDB)
- Garrett Graham - Dave (IMDB)
- Kaci Beeler - Number 27 (IMBD)
- Joel Heyman - Bill (IMDB)
- Jessica Schwartz - Nicole (IMDB )
- Brad Anner - John (IMDB )
- Jen Brown - Beth (IMDB )
- Stephen Dinh - Jeffrey (IMDB )
- Josh Flanagan - Mark (IMDB )
- Ariana Guerra - Jenn (IMDB )
- Jason Liebrecht - Colin (IMDB)
- Shannon McCormick - Dr. Abrams (IMDB )
- Andrew Matthews - Todd
- Aaron Spivey-Sorrells - Slade (IMDB)
- Cyndi Williams - Jake's Mom
- Anna Hullum - Voice of Jake's Mom (IMDB)
- Keegan Dennis - Skinemax Star no.1
- Aaron Marquis - Skinemax Star no.2 (IMDB)
- Matt Hullum - Dale (IMDB)
- Jacques Colimon - Gamer (IMDB )
- Adam Ellis - Gamer 2 (IMDB )
- Blaine Gibson - Blaze (IMDB )
- Jennymarie Jemison - Sydney (IMDB )
- Byron Brown - Derek (IMDB )
- Todd Womack - Brian (IMDB )
- Mike Wiebe - Barry (IMDB )
- Samantha Ireland - Amy (IMDB )
- Jason Newman - Robert (IMDB )
- Bill Lewis - Philip (IMDB )
- Kay Soper - Caitlyn (IMDB )
- Burnie Burns
- Matt Hullum
- Doreen Copeland
- Ezra Venetos
Seen in BTSEdit
- Stephen Fay - Production Designer
- Graham Reynolds - Music Composer
- Tara Cooper - Dept. Head Makeup Artist
- Wesley Meyers - VFX Supervisor
Season 1 Edit
|1||Waking Nightmare||After a two day drug binge, meth addict Jake awakes to find himself a survivor of an unknown apocalyptic event spurred when sleep becomes deadly.||June 19, 2016||44:04||1|
|2||Cognitive Dissonance||Ellis's plan hits a snag, just in time for some sleepless delirium to settle in.||June 26, 2016||42:04||2|
|3||Night Terrors||As Ellis heads for Dallas, Ally, Jake, and Sam are diverted by a new kind of foe.||July 3, 2016||40:27||3|
|Stories 1||Number 27||July 10, 2016||8:05||S1|
|4||Sweet Dreams||New clues converge in Dallas, while Ally attempts a dangerous reunion in Austin.||July 17, 2016||43:54||4|
|5||Beacons in the Dark||Lex shows her research to Ally; Ellis investigates a mysterious signal.||July 24, 2016||45:01||5|
|6||Wide Awake||In the season finale, alliances at Dr. Abrams' facility are pushed to a breaking point; Ellis' group puts their theory to the test.||July 31, 2016||49:14||6|
|Stories 2||Breakthrough||August 7, 2016||9:10||S2|
|Stories 3||Making Headlines||August 14, 2016||7:11||S3|
|Behind The Scenes||Making An Apocalypse||August 21, 2016||28:44||BTS|
Day 5 contains examples of: Edit
- After the End
- Ambiguously Evil: Dr. Abrams.
- Apocalypse How: Ambiguous as to what class exactly. Since animals also die from The Big Sleep it's hard to say if the planet's ecosystem will fall apart even if the heroes survive. However, the fact that fish are still alive, and the rumors of "safe-sleep zones" mean that there may be hope after all.
- Axe-Crazy: The effects that the lack of sleep has on some people, including the Incubus and Alonzo According to Meredith it starts with self-mutilation to stay awake and advances to total violent psychopathy.
- Badass Preacher: Father Julio.
- Bald of Evil: Dr. Abrams.
- Big Brother Instinct: Jake, in spades. One of his driving motivations throughout the series is to keep Sam safe and "make sure he lives long enough to have sex."
- Big Damn Heroes: Jake arriving just in time to save the group from the Incubus.
- Black Comedy: In the second episode, a rave attendee walks into the morgue where Sam is, opening one of the refrigerators (for dead bodies) and finding someone asleep, i.e. dead, inside. The attendee mutters "Occupied", and Sam replies "Yeah, they had a reservation." Immediately after, the attendee opens a vacant one, climbs in with a pillow, and remarks "Good night" before presumably entering the long sleep. Sam, rather than try to stop him, just shrugs and says "Can't say it's not efficient."
- Blessed with Suck: Bill, who has fatal familial insomnia, a rare genetic disease that makes it impossible for him to sleep. As he points out, before all this, he was suffering a death sentence. Now he gets to watch everyone die.
- Brick Joke: After the gag in the first episode with the blueberry muffin, Ellis asks Bill to make him one.
- In the first episode, Sam mentions he has ADHD. In the second episode, while he, Ellis, and Ally are searching for records in the morgue, Sam wanders around and does a couple random things, like putting a sling on his arm despite not needing one and walking into the refrigerator room.
- Boom, Headshot: Beth blows Alonzo's brains out.
- Meredith's specialty as a sniper, which she uses to take down the bands of roving psychopaths wandering Dallas but also, unfortunately, other people who happen by.
- Cold Sniper: Meredith casually blows out the brains of random strangers. Ends up being subverted when it turns out she was attacking the psychos and simply confused the main crew for them as well. She joins the team after that. Double Subverted when the season finale heavily implies she's in on what caused the Big Sleep.
- Combat Sadomasochist: Episode 3 features a man who went crazy and started mutilating himself to keep himself awake, and then started killing people
- Creator Cameo:
- Josh Flanagan, the showrunner, appears as a military man protecting the sleep center.
- Matt Hullum, the EP, appears as Sam's dad, also in flashback.
- Aaron Marquis, director and writer, cameos as a porn actor.
- Cursed with Awesome: Bill. He has a rare disease that physically prevents him from going to sleep. He was only expecting to live another 6 months when Big Sleep started, but now he's going to naturally outlive everybody on earth except those with the same condition he has.
- Dark is Not Evil: The creepy skulls that Jake finds while looking for help turn out to be the Dia De Los Muertos decorations of a friendly group of locals who heal the protagonists and give them shelter.
- Death of a Child: Jake's little sister and her friends are among the first victims we see, a girl gets nearly killed by the Incubus in the third episode with plenty of post-attack gore, and almost two hundred kids were killed by the lab Lex works at while trying to find a cure.
- Demoted to Extra: Bill was the main character of the original short film. While he actually gets more screentime in the full series, Bill's arc from the short is only adapted into a side plot of one episode.
- Drinking Game: "#Day5Drinks" is a game from the RT community on Twitter in the vein of the Theater Mode drinking game. The rules, which are still forming as the series goes on, are as follows:
- If characters urinate from the use of diuretics, take a drink.
- If someone dies from something other than falling asleep, take a drink.
- If the characters find something aside from drugs to keep awake (pain, La Bruja, Ghost Peppers), do a shot.
- Take a drink when a character has a hallucination.
- Driven to Suicide: Many characters over the course of the story who decide it's time for bed. To list some: Nicole, John, and Beth, and seemingly Meredith and Ellis before otherwise is revealed.
- Embarrassing Last Name: Bill Beavers.
- Emergency Broadcast: Omnipresent across every tv screen in the series. But as Bill realizes, it went out exactly at the moment that the crisis started, meaning that whoever made it knew what was going to happen or that, as Ellis believes, the signal itself was the cause.
- Extremely Short Timespan: (not counting the flashbacks and flash forward), most of the season take places over the course of Day 5 and ends at the start of Day 6.
- False Friend: Meredith.
- Fan Disservice: The rave. It's shot in such a way as to be overwhelming and disturbing, and even Flip (played by Barbara Dunkelman) is portrayed in a way that is more unsettling than alluring.
- Fanservice: The naked women in the first episode, and a porno starring Aaron Marquis in the fifth.
- There's a bit in the fourth episode where Jake and Ally strip to their underwear to avoid coming off as intimidating. Somewhat Fan Disservice with Sam, though, who also does it, and is only thirteen.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: In Episode 5, as Ellis and company go through a television broadcasting studio, they can be seen clearly going through Rooster Teeth's Studio 5, complete with the set for The Know in the background of a scene for a few seconds.
- Funny Background Event: In the morgue, Sam finding an arm sling and putting it on, even though he doesn't need one. He continues wearing it after the scene shifts focus to him, but if you weren't paying attention you'd be really confused how he got it.
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found